Sunday, January 26, 2014

Bruce fishing in Bay of Island, Sunday - January 26, 2014


SUNDAY – JANUARY 26, 2014

BOTTOM LINE:
Bruce went fishing
Barb went to church and waited for Bruce’s return

BACK STORY: 
Bruce decided to join a fishing charter into the bay and met the crew about 8:30 in the morning.

I on the other hand decided to enjoy a quiet morning and try the Anglican service at the same church we had attended the night before.  I received some misinformation and showed up to the church a half hour late.

As I creeped into the church, there was a commotion in the pew across from my seat.  A man was having a heart attack!  It was a very humid morning and the old stone church seemed especially hot so as people aided the man I asked that the windows be opened for a bit of cross ventilation.

Because Paihia is a small community, it took the emergency vehicle about 30 minutes to arrive.  I believe that the man will be all right, but he looked very ashen as he left.  I kicked myself for not bringing my day pack with me.  I carry a small bag of powdered aspirin for such occasions to be used sublingually.

It was a rainy, stormy day.  I had promised Bruce that I would be at the dock when he arrived.  After walking around the town looking in all shops of interest, I returned to the hostile to wait.

A little Korean friend that we had befriended on the Cape Reinga tour was visiting me before her bus left for Auckland.  She wanted to give us a card that she had written to us…thanking us for being so kind to her!  What a lovely gift of kind words!  We will keep in touch.

Bruce got back to the hostel about 2pm carrying a bag of snapper fish fillets. Although the weather could have been better, the fishing was great.
I went next door to a café that we had eaten dinner ate for the past two evenings to inquire as to whether they would cook the fish for us.  There was no BBQ available at the hostel and the kitchen was not something that I wanted to cook in.  The gal who had served us the night before and taken a liking to us said that they would be happy to grill it for us and serve it with salad and chips (fries) for $10.  The deal was on.


Bruce's catch for 2 meals

At 7pm we walked over to the café that was already packed and had a great three-piece band playing music. The three-day holiday weekend for New Zealand was coming to an end and people were ramping up for their return home.  It also signaled the end of the six-week summer break for kids who would be returning to school.

The fish was prepared wonderfully and there was more than enough to pack up for another full meal.  Thank you, Bruce!



No comments:

Post a Comment